Repton levels?

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures

AJW

Re: Repton levels?

Postby AJW » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:42 pm

Thanks Footie - please check your PM.

Yes the latest TBIPD zip says "PK" as the first 2 bytes

There's a couple of ssd's from the SG set that the links are broken for -I'll fix them now.

AJW

Postby AJW » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:54 pm

Okay, all links now are working afaict at least.

(Footie - I've found that downloading zips (&A91) via Netsurf converts them into archives but the PK remains.

Thanks for your patience all. I'm trying to do this as fast as possible with the couple of hours I can spare so careless mistakes tend to creep in esp. late at night :(

Footie

Postby Footie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:53 am

Hi,

I'm still having problems with the zip files, although SSDs are OK. When you download the file again from your site are you getting a proper PKZIP file with PK as the first 2 bytes? The file MFoot.zip from the site is not a zip file for example. I wonder if the upload is corrupting it somehow? I can convert my levels into a SSD if you like which would make it easier to use on most emulators.
The filetype of the downloaded file is set by MIMEMap. I'm pretty sure SparkFS does not care what the filetype is as it scans the header to see if it's a valid archive/PKZIP file anyway.

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Postby Rich Talbot-Watkins » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:11 am

For what it's worth, I have always been able to open MFoot.zip and extract its contents fine in Windows XP, using both the built-in unzipper and 'TUGZip'. In fact, I haven't had problems with any of the downloads. But the mime-types aren't set correctly on the .ssd files, and my browser tries to open them as text pages.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:26 am

AJW wrote:Me-I get "bad program" when I try to boot the disc. There's no "Colin2" file

:-k ,what the hell you trying to play them on, WinVista :lol:
they are on a .dsd disc.

i will turn them into .inf files & re-up in a mo :wink:

PS still no joy with Solinet group screens.....as yet :(

EDIT here they are :mrgreen:
Attachments
CMscrns.zip
CM scrns in .inf
(7.26 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
ImageImageImage

AJW

Postby AJW » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Just tried all the ZIPs on Windows Vista. They all download and open perfectly.

Not sure what to do about the individual ssd's. They needs to be saved out as text and then filetype-d.

AJW

Postby AJW » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:13 pm

Colin - they're working now thanks a lot. Great choice of colours for the second set of levels, thefirst level looks like a really nice map.

The emulators wouldn't handle the DSD but they also couldn't recognise the "Colin" file for some reason despite the new files having the same load and exec addresses set. Weird.

I have utility for splitting DSDs which doesn't work for some reason but I'll look into that for the future.

Should be uploaded tonight.

Footie

Postby Footie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:17 pm

I've found out why the emulator did not like Colin's DSD file. The sector count is different on each side and the emulator uses this to determine if it's a DSD or not. If you load the DSD file into a hex editor (Zap, StrongEd etc.) and look at the byte at location 0x107 and at 0xB07 you will see that they are different (0x1F and 0x20). If you make them both 0x20 and save the file, it will work OK.

Cheers,

Mike.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:20 am

^^thats well weird, they work on my PC with BeebEm35 :?

if 2 sectors short on the *FREE, then maybe they are the discs that i used the Micro User proggy to copy the catelogue onto last 2 sectors of disc. This is so if u blow the disc up, or some sectors go bad, you can use a copy proggy onto another disc, then copy the catelogue from track 79.8/9 back to track 0.0/1 :D

AJW wrote: working now thanks a lot

no probs :wink:

for splitting .dsd into 2 .ssd, i use this now http://members.lycos.co.uk/mmbeeb/index ... Imager.exe =D>
ImageImageImage

Kecske Bak

Postby Kecske Bak » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:31 pm

samwise has very kindly managed to transfer the floppies I sent him earlier this week, and will be passing the images on to AJW.

I'll also add the zip here, as I haven't had a lot of luck running the files I've downloaded from AJW's site.
Attachments
DaveJNewLevelsAndGfx.zip
Dave J's Repton and Pipeline levels
(178.28 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:17 pm

Kecske Bak wrote:samwise has very kindly managed to transfer the floppies I sent him earlier this week, and will be passing the images on to AJW.

Done.

As you know, it's possible some of the Pipeline files may have been corrupted, so if anyone notices anything like that, probably best to post here.

Some very nice graphics in your sets, tho. I like some of the things you've done in your Repton 3 LONDON set, for example:

DaveJsRepton3LONDONset.png
Dave J's Repton 3 LONDON set
(6.64 KiB) Downloaded 1944 times

Sam.

Kecske Bak

Postby Kecske Bak » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:46 pm

Just to complete the set of BBC games with editors I've played with, I've just found a disc image I did shortly after I got into Emulators - the original file is dated 12/08/98. It's a copy of XOR I did with the mask, fish and chicken graphics changed.
Attachments
xor_dj.zip
Xor, graphics slightly tweaked
(12.8 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

AJW

Postby AJW » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:03 pm

Keske - I think the problem with one set of files is that they are won't show up with load and exec addresses on a PC or mac. I just put up the TBI fies from the 8BS disc . Maybe it would help if I uploaded SSDs containing the files. Will try to do that asap.

Kecske Bak

Postby Kecske Bak » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:10 pm

Thanks for that - and thanks for coming up with the great idea for the Repton levels site too.

All the best,

Dave

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:52 am

DaveJ (Kecske Bak) , is there anything on Drive2 of your discs? its just the files are >200kb so are they meant to be .dsd?? :?

Thanks, might get a go of them tonight :wink:
ImageImageImage

AJW

Postby AJW » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:44 pm

Thanks to you Dave for those great levels. There are some brief thoughts on them on the webpage. Okay all of Dave's levels are now up.

Unless I've forgotten something (in which case plase say) then that should be everything for the BBC. Just have to do the Electron set now.

Footie - thanks for the help with Beebit. I'll have a look at that DSD again for the sake of interest.

Kecske Bak

Postby Kecske Bak » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:14 am

To reply to Colin first, I sent two double-sided discs to Samwise, who then turned them into four single sided disc images - which is what you have in the .zip file.

All the levels were done between 1986 and 1991. There is a level called "TIMOTHY" on the set "SET1" which is the first level I ever designed for Repton 3 back on Christmas day 1986.

I'm surprised that no-one has noticed "FARMDAT", which is my favourite set of graphics. It's based around the farm where I lived at the time.

There's also XOR, which is what I thought XOR was like (I had never played it when I did that set), and BDASH which has falling diamonds as well as falling rocks.

I do have some more Repton levels on C15 Cassette, and also some more Repton Infinity files on a double sided disc.

For those of you who have Pipeline, there are two level set files - FGAE and FGAME that you may find interesting.

Oh, and finally, my surname is JEFFERY, not JEFFREY as on AJW's site.

AJW

Postby AJW » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:39 pm

Sorry Dave I should have looked more closely. Corrections should be on the site now.

AJW

Postby AJW » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:16 pm

Just about to upload the Repton 3 Electron levels. Anybody know of any more apart from Money?

Btw, just looked at Robbo under Elk Repton Infinity? Can't believe users had to put up with reduced graphics so much of the time.
Attachments
RobboAElk(underBeeb).gif
(22.98 KiB) Downloaded 1716 times

AJW

Postby AJW » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:01 pm

The SSD for Money is up so that's about it for the moment. Thanks all for the feedback/help etc.

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:28 pm

CMcDougall wrote:is there anything on Drive2 of your discs? its just the files are >200kb so are they meant to be .dsd?? :?

The discs were originally formatted with a Watford Electronics DDFS 1.54T, so they are 80 track double-sided dual-density discs which hold 360 KB per side. I split the two sides of each disc into separate SSDs.

I just noticed that Jeremy Grayson, of these forums, wrote a Repton Infinity game called Rollerball and also mentions a design-a-game-with-RI competition in Acorn User:

Steven Shipway's Pacman clone - appeared on an AU disc
Magnus Butlin's Ball
Alex Card's Nectar Collector - featured a really nicely animated hummingbird as the main protagonist (or so Jeremy thought)

I haven't investigated these four, but may be worth a look?

Sam.

Kecske Bak

Postby Kecske Bak » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:46 am

Nectar Collector is excellent - it's the best set of redesigned Repton graphics I've ever seen, and in fact they're some of the best graphics I've seen on the Beeb.

AJW

Postby AJW » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:32 pm

Well found Peter, I'll certainly have a look at these ASAP.

About disc images on RISC OS- not sure if the relevant authors are reading this but the DFS SSD's from EUG21 containing the original Repton Infinity files I uploaded:

http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/eug/21/a-edit.html

These work on !Beebit but !BBCfiles by J.Lampard won't convert them (it doesn't claim to be able to handle DSDs) and !6502em won't convert them properly either.

Also, they're 400K - I thought DSDs were 200K/ SSD's 100K?

Footie

Postby Footie » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:54 am

SSDs are 200K and DSDs are 400K. 80 tracks * 10 sectors/track * 256 bytes/sector = 204800 bytes (or 200K). A 40 track SSD would be 100K.
DSDs can be either side interleaved (ie. the DSD file contains 2 SSDs, one after the other) or track interleaved (ie. The 1st track of the first SSD comes first, followed by the 1st track of the second SSD, followed by the 2nd track of the first SSD etc.).

The DSDs from EUG#21 are track interleaved and maybe 6502Em cannot handle those. BBCFiles certainly can't extract from DSDs. BeebIt will only handle track interleaved DSDs if the track count is the same on both sides.

Hope that helps.

AJW

Postby AJW » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:15 pm

40/80 track - forgot about that. Yes thanks Footie that helps.

AJW

Postby AJW » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:36 pm

Nectar seems quite good. There are four files Nectar, Nects and I reckon the second set of levels Nectar2, Nects2. They look like duplicates.
Attachments
Nectar1-2.gif
(10.41 KiB) Downloaded 1509 times

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:21 am

Samwise wrote:
I just noticed that Jeremy Grayson, of these forums, wrote a Repton Infinity game called Rollerball and also mentions a design-a-game-with-RI competition in Acorn User:

Steven Shipway's Pacman clone - appeared on an AU disc
Magnus Butlin's Ball
Alex Card's Nectar Collector - featured a really nicely animated hummingbird as the main protagonist (or so Jeremy thought)

Lordy, I'd forgotten about Rollerball, and possibly with good reason, for whilst it was technically bombproof my graphics were utterly appalling! My Beeb - along with all other non-work - stuff is currently mothballed pending a flat move, but I'll see if I can find the disk sometime later this year when I'm sorted out. I suspect I may want to, um, modify some of the visuals first!

From memory the first prize of the Acorn User Repton Infinity competition was to have your winning game appear on a future Superior release - either as a constituent part of a Play it Again, Sam compilation or as part of a suite of RI extra screens / scenarios. Ultimately, however, Magnus Butlin's Ball remained unpublished by Superior.

Jeremy
(graysonscolumn)

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:32 am

Jeremy,

Just a thought - but if you need a hand with that, I'm sure if you asked you'd get some volunteers. I know of at least one contributor to this thread who's done some very nice RI graphics work that I've seen ...

I think it'd be a great idea for ppl to combine their talents - perhaps with someone having done screen design and game logic and someone else contributing graphics. That's one of the main reasons Retro Software was originally setup - to help ppl collaborate.

Sam.

AJW

Postby AJW » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:55 pm

No idea where Steven Shipway's PacMan clone is although the Headfirst PD levels had two Pacman's on - it's not one of those is it?

I'll put Nectar up as soon as I can.

As for the AU competition and Ball I never knew it existed - own fault for not buying Acorn User! :(

Did submit Rollerball anywhere Jeremy?

AJW

Postby AJW » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:56 pm

Great idea about submitting graphics to Rollerball, or any new RI project for that matter. Different people could possibly be assigned/agree upon doing different objects?

Return to “software: classic games”