Repton levels?

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures

Samwise

Re: Repton levels?

Postby Samwise » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:10 pm

Hmm ... we definitely don't want this content disappearing. I think it's been a great bit of detective work by AJW.

If drobe doesn't come back up soon, AJW, do you want to drop me an email and we'll make sure it all gets back online where it belongs?

Sam.

Test Pilot Monkey

Postby Test Pilot Monkey » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Of the files that I can get working here, there are some great looking games/levels. However, any of the files that weren't on a ssd/dsd I couldn't get working.

Also, Kraken your website is down, Geocities stopped its services.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:34 pm

The Kraken wrote:having problems with the rep19.zip link on the previous page. I've taken all the files out of the zip folder, but BeebEm doesn't recognise them. What format are they in?

they will be RAW files, so need BeebExplorer to turn back into .ssd, its here
http://www.stairwaytohell.com/essential ... rer201.zip :wink:
ImageImageImage

Test Pilot Monkey

Postby Test Pilot Monkey » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:51 pm

I've been trying to use BBCExplorer, but whenever I drag a file onto it it just shows "$." and nothing else. When I tried your files with the .inf extensions, I got "C.$" instead, which worked after I renamed it. But I can't rename the other files as they don't show up when you do "*."

Test Pilot Monkey

Postby Test Pilot Monkey » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:06 pm

Aha! I got it working with FS Manager, just drag and drop! (then change the $'s to G for the Repton Infinity files)

The Kraken

Postby The Kraken » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:53 pm

Test Pilot Monkey wrote:Also, Kraken your website is down, Geocities stopped its services.

Considering how big an impact that had on my life, yes, I do know this :P I have all the information about Repton levels saved on my hard drive if anyone desperately wants them, but to be honest, by that point I'd assumed interest in this thread had died out.

The Kraken

Postby The Kraken » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:16 pm

I've just been having a look at the Stuart Goldswater discs, in the hope of finding some new levels to crack my teeth on. However, it looks like I'm in for a disappointment: all the "new" levels are duplicates of the public domain sets (albeit with original graphics -- a nice discovery for anyone who wants to look at the TOPD2 and TOPD3 sets in particular, since these contain excellent levels with a possibly confusing set of themed graphics).

However, REP17 on the disc NEW2 is driving me mad: I know this is also a duplicate of a set I've seen elswhere, but it doesn't match any of the public domain sets on the 8-Bit Software page (http://8bs.com/submit/subreptonmaps.htm).

If anyone wants to help me out, the disc is here: http://aw.drobe.co.uk/REPTON/NEW2.ssd

Another curious fact relating to these levels is that STEW2 on the same disc is the same as OSMI from the public domain levels. Okay, not so dramatic when you consider that these discs contain duplicates of all those levels, but is the filename STEW2 indicating that Mr Goldswater is the author of these levels? (Possibly not, since STEW3 is the same as TOPD3, which is certainly not his.)

The Kraken

Postby The Kraken » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:56 pm

!!!DISCOVERY!!!

Although almost all the Stuart Goldswater sets are duplicates of sets available elsewhere, there is one exception: the file TANKS on NEW5 consists of a completely new set of levels with rather interesting graphics. For less adventurous players, the files +NRS4 on NEW3, NRS9 on NEW5 and +TANKS on NEW6 all contain the same level set with standard Prelude graphics.

These levels are very good and I might make them a future video project, once I've completed them.

The Stuart Goldswater sets contain just one other set I haven't seen elsewhere: +EINAR on NEW3. However, this set is not very interesting (apart from its first level, which is pretty dramatic if you like that sort of thing!!!) Screens B-D are easy levels of the "just collect lots of diamonds" type, while the remaining four are each blank apart from Repton, timebomb and one diamond -- making them impossible to complete as there's no crown.

The Kraken

Postby The Kraken » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:08 am

I'm not sure if anyone is still following this topic :P but I've just finished playing through the TOPD2, TOPD3, TROG and UPAKA level files. These four sets also consist for the most part of pretty good levels, although TOPD3 starts with three very difficult levels and then suddenly becomes easy, while TROG and UPAKA are easier sets from the start.

These sets contain a couple of impossible levels. TOPD3 Screen F has no crown. UPAKA Screen G has no key (as well as a dazed spirit that is impossible to un-daze). UPAKA Screen H seems to be impossible to complete without losing a life, since there is only one transporter leading below the double column of rocks, and whichever side you go up on, not enough rocks will fall outwards to make it possible to obtain the remaining diamonds without starting at the bottom a second time (but I'd be very interested to know if anyone can prove me wrong on this assertion!)

kingcobra

Postby kingcobra » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:19 pm

To create a screen with no key when half the diamonds are SAFES is a bit of an oversight!!

AJW

Postby AJW » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:58 am

Samwise wrote:Hmm ... we definitely don't want this content disappearing. I think it's been a great bit of detective work by AJW.

If drobe doesn't come back up soon, AJW, do you want to drop me an email and we'll make sure it all gets back online where it belongs?

Sam.

If you want to mirror the site then let me know or go ahead. I'm not sure I even have the Drobe password any more.

The Kraken

Postby The Kraken » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Though if you do, make sure to remove the links to my Geocities page for the reason mentioned a few posts up :wink:

AJW

Postby AJW » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:39 pm

If the site can be mirrored I can look into getting FTP access to the Repton site again.

Samwise

Postby Samwise » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:19 pm

You have mail!

Sam.

SimonSideburns

Postby SimonSideburns » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:29 pm

Better late than never, and assuming AJW hasn't already seen my Repton Infinity levels I posted about, here's a link to the post:

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8445
I'm writing a game where you can change your character from a Wizard to a monkey to a cat.

Well, Imogen that!

geraldholdsworth

Postby geraldholdsworth » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:18 am

If anyone is interested, I am happy to host any Repton scenario levels on the Repton Resource Page, as I have done with Simon's Repton Infinity levels, and some others.
http://www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

barbarossa69

Postby barbarossa69 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:09 am

Arcadian wrote:I bought a ton of Beeb stuff from a guy in Lancashire about 6-7 years ago, and amongst the discs were a set of Repton 3 levels (which I'm sure he said he'd created himself).

Anyway, here they are:
ReptonLevels-TheAlien.zip
There seems to be a mixture of level types e.g. original gfx/new levels, new gfx/original levels and new gfx/new levels.

I haven't played through any of them, and by the looks of it some of the levels are very simplistic (they may all be like this) but some of the new graphics aren't bad.

I've attached pics of the best ones below (though I haven't included a screengrab of the 'RUDE' levelset for obvious reasons!).

Oh wow, I've just discovered this thread!

I'm the author of *some* of these levels but I have no idea how you got hold of them.

DANGER, DOLLAR, RUDE, MOON, WAR and XMAS were made by me.

All I can think of is that a couple of my mates took them to a local computer club in the West Midlands once, and maybe they got distributed there. (They actually got told to leave the club because of "RUDE" LOL)

I thought they were lost forever, it's amazing to see them again. Thankyou!!

geraldholdsworth

Postby geraldholdsworth » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:07 pm

barbarossa69 wrote:I'm the author of *some* of these levels but I have no idea how you got hold of them.

DANGER, DOLLAR, RUDE, MOON, WAR and XMAS were made by me.

I thought they were lost forever, it's amazing to see them again. Thankyou!!

Some have been converted for PC Repton 3 and made available on my website.

Cheers,

Gerald.
Last edited by Rich Talbot-Watkins on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed markup
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

barbarossa69

Postby barbarossa69 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:31 pm

geraldholdsworth wrote:Some have been converted for PC Repton 3 and made available on my website.

Cheers,

Gerald.

Wow I will need to check this out! 8)
...although imagine what a teenage me would have done with 64x64 resolution icons.... ;)

Return to “software: classic games”