Codename Druid - can't play on Mac

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures

sa_scott

Codename Druid - can't play on Mac

Postby sa_scott » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I'd love to play Codename Druid on my Mac. I've got a copy hosted on my website somewhere (my Mac's fusion drive is getting in serious trouble, so I've lost Clipboard functionality, I can't cut and paste a URL - it is on bbcmicro.co.uk).

I'd love to play this game on the Mac, but the jump key (*) has no suitable Inkey value for an iMac keyboard.

I've tried locating a copy of the assembly language files to amend the value accordingly, but the Mac seems to break the filetype. I do have the April 1989 issue of Acorn User, from which the game was published. The line that needs changing is line 880 of List 4:

Code: Select all

880 LDX #256-73 (I guess 73 is the Inkey value for the * key)
890 JSR inkey
900 BNE nojump

Can anyone therefore hack a special Mac edition of this game, so it can be played?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards

Steve
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Professional
www.sassquad.com

billcarr2005

Re: Codename Druid - can't play on Mac

Postby billcarr2005 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:08 pm

If you can load / save the file DRUID2 within an emulator, the offsets for all the INKEY functions are as follows

19FD LDX #&9D   SPACE
1AE0 LDX #&96   COPY
1AEA LDX #&A6   DELETE
1AF1 LDX #&AE   S
1AFC LDX #&EF   Q
2213 LDX #&B6   RETURN
226F LDX #&BD   X
227F LDX #&9E   Z
2297 LDX #&B7   :

So changing the value in &2298 from &B7 to something more Mac friendly will be a simple case of

*LOAD DRUID2
?&2298=new INKEY value
*SAVE DRUID2 19B4+4500 19B4

If you have another key in mind, I can modify the file and post the new SSD here?

sa_scott

Postby sa_scott » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:40 pm

billcarr2005 wrote:If you can load / save the file DRUID2 within an emulator, the offsets for all the INKEY functions are as follows

If you have another key in mind, I can modify the file and post the new SSD here?

Thanks for your reply. Would you mind if you can create the SSD? If I was using Windows or Linux I wouldn't mind, but the lack of copy/paste on the Mac makes simple things ruddy hard to do!

Might be great if bbcmicro.co.uk can host this alternative version? I know there's many games that won't work on Mac with the One True Layout keys, but at least this one can be addressed.

Thanks in advance!

Steve
--
www.sassquad.com

billcarr2005

Postby billcarr2005 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:43 pm

Whcih BBC key do you have in mind to replace the " : ", that works well on a Mac keyboard? :)

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:50 pm

sa_scott wrote:Might be great if bbcmicro.co.uk can host this alternative version?

Before we do that, let's try to get to the bottom of why exactly you're having such difficulty with the asterisk key..? I'm on a Mac, and I'm able to use Mac BeebEm, Win BeebEm (in a virtual Windows 7 installation), Win BeebEm (under WINE), Win B-Em (under WINE), and JSBeeb (in a browser) to play any Beeb game you'd care to mention.

I'm using a custom keyboard mapping in Win BeebEm, but in Win B-Em, in Mac BeebEm, and in JSBeeb the default keyboard mapping just works: the colon key on the Beeb maps to the physical apostrophe key on the Mac. Therefore, to produce an asterisk on the Beeb, I press Shift on the physical Mac keyboard and then apostrophe -- or, in other words, I type what would normally be the Mac key-combination that produces a quotation-mark (a.k.a. double inverted commas) "

sa_scott wrote:I know there's many games that won't work on Mac with the One True Layout keys

There aren't any games I can't play on my Mac. (It's a MacBook Pro from around 2014.)

:idea:

sa_scott

Postby sa_scott » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:19 am

billcarr2005 wrote:Whcih BBC key do you have in mind to replace the " : ", that works well on a Mac keyboard? :)

The K key would be great!
--
www.sassquad.com

sa_scott

Postby sa_scott » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:22 am

Before we do that, let's try to get to the bottom of why exactly you're having such difficulty with the asterisk key..? I'm on a Mac, and I'm able to use Mac BeebEm, Win BeebEm (in a virtual Windows 7 installation), Win BeebEm (under WINE), Win B-Em (under WINE), and JSBeeb (in a browser) to play any Beeb game you'd care to mention.

sa_scott wrote:I know there's many games that won't work on Mac with the One True Layout keys

There aren't any games I can't play on my Mac. (It's a MacBook Pro from around 2014.)

:idea:

I have an iMac from 2014, which uses a wireless keyboard. It's layout / key mappings don't provide for such a key. Even the Help window on jsBeeb states this (it's listed as TODO). I've tried the different settings available, but none of them work for me.

I'm using Mac OS High Sierra, not that it makes much difference.

Steve
--
www.sassquad.com

billcarr2005

Postby billcarr2005 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:06 am

sa_scott wrote:The K key would be great!

Enjoy! :)
Attachments
Disc040-RunemakerCodenameDruid MOD.zip
Jump key modified to K
(8.71 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

sa_scott

Postby sa_scott » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:21 am

billcarr2005 wrote:
sa_scott wrote:The K key would be great!

Enjoy! :)

Thanks very much. I can play this just in time for the Winter Solstice :-P

Steve
--
www.sassquad.com

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:12 pm

sa_scott wrote:I have an iMac from 2014, which uses a wireless keyboard. It's layout / key mappings don't provide for such a key.

That's very strange! The iMac keyboards that I've seen, wireless or not, have all got the apostrophe key. It's just above the forward-slash key. See the linked photos:

Is your keyboard different from all of those? Could you please upload a photo of it here?

sa_scott wrote:Even the Help window on jsBeeb states this (it's listed as TODO).

I think it's just that the JSBeeb Help text is out of date. You'll notice that, for the *: key, it says "TODO" in the PC column as well as in the "OSX" column -- and yet, neither PC users nor Mac users have reported any issues with that key in JSBeeb at all, as far as I can tell!

Nor have any Mac users on Stardot reported the problems you're having with this particular key, which you seem to be experiencing in all emulators.

Is your keyboard very unusual? What make and model is it? Can you upload or link to a photo of it?

:?:

sa_scott

Postby sa_scott » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:30 am

lurkio wrote:
sa_scott wrote:I have an iMac from 2014, which uses a wireless keyboard. It's layout / key mappings don't provide for such a key.

That's very strange! The iMac keyboards that I've seen, wireless or not, have all got the apostrophe key. It's just above the forward-slash key. See the linked photos:

Is your keyboard different from all of those? Could you please upload a photo of it here?

sa_scott wrote:Even the Help window on jsBeeb states this (it's listed as TODO).

I think it's just that the JSBeeb Help text is out of date. You'll notice that, for the *: key, it says "TODO" in the PC column as well as in the "OSX" column -- and yet, neither PC users nor Mac users have reported any issues with that key in JSBeeb at all, as far as I can tell!

Nor have any Mac users on Stardot reported the problems you're having with this particular key, which you seem to be experiencing in all emulators.

Is your keyboard very unusual? What make and model is it? Can you upload or link to a photo of it?

Thanks for your help. The Google link shows the keyboard I have. When I press the " key, nothing happens. None of the mapping options work for me. Either my Mac is set up stupid, or I am being stupid!

I have attempted to run BeebEm on my Mac, but it quits without explanation. Could be a Mac OS High Sierra issue. I may try another one over the weekend.

Steve
--
www.sassquad.com

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:06 am

sa_scott wrote:Thanks for your help. The Google link shows the keyboard I have. When I press the " key, nothing happens. None of the mapping options work for me. Either my Mac is set up stupid, or I am being stupid!

Are you saying that the key does nothing, even in JSBeeb? (Have you tried the different settings in the JSBeeb Keyboard menu?)

Does the " key work for you in normal native Mac apps?

I was going to suggest you might have to disable the "smart quotes" keyboard setting, but then I checked and I've got that setting enabled! Maybe there are differences in how the setting works, though, between OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite, which is what I'm still on, and High Sierra (you)?

sa_scott wrote:I have attempted to run BeebEm on my Mac, but it quits without explanation. Could be a Mac OS High Sierra issue.

Might be to do with recent(ish) macOS security features, yes. This thread might help:

sa_scott

Postby sa_scott » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:33 am

lurkio wrote:
sa_scott wrote:Thanks for your help. The Google link shows the keyboard I have. When I press the " key, nothing happens. None of the mapping options work for me. Either my Mac is set up stupid, or I am being stupid!

Are you saying that the key does nothing, even in JSBeeb? (Have you tried the different settings in the JSBeeb Keyboard menu?)

I was going to suggest you might have to disable the "smart quotes" keyboard setting, but then I checked and I've got that setting enabled! Maybe there are differences in how the setting works, though, between OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite, which is what I'm still on, and High Sierra (you)?

sa_scott wrote:I have attempted to run BeebEm on my Mac, but it quits without explanation. Could be a Mac OS High Sierra issue.

Might be to do with recent(ish) macOS security features, yes. This thread might help:

The key works as normal in other applications, and within Chrome, but not jsBeeb. I've not run jsBeeb on Safari or Firefox. I do have a 2013 iMac at work, so may try it out there later. It has the same type of keyboard. If I get the same behaviour on that machine, that would suggest an issue.

I may check out that thread when I get home. There was a Mac OS security update overnight, which may (or may not) make things better. Mac OS High Sierra has had a major security howler in recent weeks, so I can't guarantee that Apple are making things better with each update :roll:

Thanks again for your feedback.

Steve
--
www.sassquad.com

sa_scott

Postby sa_scott » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:02 pm

sa_scott wrote:
lurkio wrote:

An update - a thread was started on Github (https://github.com/mattgodbolt/jsbeeb/issues/161) regarding the help text.

However, I can now report that Chrome is at fault. I've tried the unaltered game on jsBeeb using the office based iMac, and Chrome 63 does not register the keypress. Firefox 57 does however. Whichever keyboard layout I select, I can use the ' key sucessfully. On Chrome, none of the layouts work, except Shift-8. The keydown event (222) doesn't seem to get registered. Chrome and Firefox clearly deal with key events differently.

And I feel like a prize chump :oops: Thanks for nothing Google! ](*,)

Steve
--
www.sassquad.com

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:36 am

For anyone wanting to play this game, I have now been able to add the full instructions (from the Acorn User magazine scans) to the version on my Disc 040 and I have now re-posted it in the submissions section.