Legacy of the BBC Micro User magazine / Database Publications Ltd

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures

Wiborg1978

Legacy of the BBC Micro User magazine / Database Publications Ltd

Postby Wiborg1978 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi,

that anyone know what happened to the stuff of the BBC Micro User magazine/Database Publications Ltd after the end?
Has anyone the contact to Editor Mike Bibby?

Thank you

Dennis

jms2

Re: Legacy of the BBC Micro User magazine / Database Publications Ltd

Postby jms2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:00 pm

I'm not sure I understand the question. The Micro User became Acorn Computing and eventually merged with Acorn User. This went on to become Qercus (I think).

Kevin Edwards

Postby Kevin Edwards » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi,

You can find more information about Database Publications / Europress here:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europress

I worked there for a couple of years in the mid-80s with Mike and Pete Bibby, but haven't a clue what they're up to now i'm afraid.

Derek Meakin, the founder of Database Publications, sadly passed away several years ago.

Cheers,
Kevin.

Wiborg1978

Postby Wiborg1978 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:28 pm

Kevin Edwards wrote:Hi,

You can find more information about Database Publications / Europress here:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europress

I worked there for a couple of years in the mid-80s with Mike and Pete Bibby, but haven't a clue what they're up to now i'm afraid.

Derek Meakin, the founder of Database Publications, sadly passed away several years ago.

Cheers,
Kevin.

Thank you (and all others) for your response. The reason for my question is that i´m looking for a game, called "Popeye" that was sold to the Database Publications in 1983 but got not released. It has certainly been stored somewhere in the company. Maybe it's still in Mike Bibby's possession in a box in the garage...

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Postby Rich Talbot-Watkins » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:24 am

(I split off the discussions on Mini Office II and its protection system into this topic.)

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:45 am

I'd love to know if the mailbags (letters, hints, maps etc) from the Mad Hatter and Alice adventuring columns have been archived somewhere.
I suspect though that they had a clearout at some point, especially when they moved offices.

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Postby Rich Talbot-Watkins » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:43 pm

While talking of the Micro User, does anyone know who the columnist Hac Man was? Was he a known name in the Acorn scene? Is he, in fact, on this forum?!

Kevin Edwards

Postby Kevin Edwards » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:16 pm

I do know who Hac Man is, but my memory is totally letting me down! I'll probably remember in a week or two!

The popular Bob and Trev stories were the work of Pete Bibby - Mike's twin brother and editor of The Electron User.

Kecske Bak

Postby Kecske Bak » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Really foggy memory now - weren't there actually two different Hac Mans?

Kevin Edwards

Postby Kevin Edwards » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:50 pm

I wouldn't be surprised.

I thought one of them was Jon Revis, a prolific game reviewer at The Micro User who used many pseudo-nyms. In fact all the editorial staff had numerous names. One of mine was Edward Johns. Otherwise, some issue looked like they only had a handful of contributors.

Did you work for Database Publications / Software?

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Postby Rich Talbot-Watkins » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:38 am

Google tells me that apparently there was a "Hac Man 2", who was Ricky Delarre (co-author of Karma on the Archimedes, who lost his life in an motorbike accident). I must've moved on by then though - once the magazines had pretty much dropped the Beeb content and were focused entirely on RISC OS.

I remember Jon Revis' name as a reviewer in The Micro User. I don't think there was ever any hint that he also wrote the Hac Man columns! All the computer magazines back then had few contributors and plenty of pseudonyms... they must all have been produced on a shoestring budget!

Kevin Edwards

Postby Kevin Edwards » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:09 am

Absolutely, there were 4 or 5 editorial staff plus a handful of external writers but most of the content was produced in-house for several magazines.

I remember writing articles for The Micro User, Electron User, Atari User, and Computing with the Amstrad amongst others. It was a production line as each month we had to get all of the magazines off to the printers in time - always on a friday IIRC.

There was a lot of competition in those days, the newsagents had shelves full of different home computer related magazines. It was difficult to survive and many of the magazines folded within a year or two of appearing - especially in the late 80s / early 90s. Database Publications did very well during the early to late 80s, but then the whole home computer thing started to die.

Jon Revis was one of our regular reviewers - he did articles for The Micro User and Electron User. I remember that external writers were paid 'by the inch' and the length of the final copy was used to determine how much they received. Yes, it was measured using a ruler! Can't remember what the rate per inch was!

I remember printing out the 'type-in' listings for games / articles on our trusty Epson FX-80. These were then cut and pasted ( physically ) onto the final pages before being sent off to be printed. Each listing was done at a certain width and the type-setters had to cut and paste the long listings into several columns and across pages. I'm amazed that these actually worked as it was all too easy to lose or get some of the listing in the wrong place.

I left Database in 1986 to work on my own games / projects.

Still can't recall who the 1st Hac Man was!

crj

Postby crj » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Ah yes. I remember the days of manual paste-up!

But hey, paying by the column-inch is at least better than paying by the word. It doesn't discourage the use of long words.

Return to “software: classic games”