Hunchback for VideoNuLA (16 colours)

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures

RobC

Hunchback for VideoNuLA (16 colours)

Postby RobC » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:05 pm

I've been playing with the sprites in Hunchback today and so here's a VideoNuLA version using 16 colours.

I've tried to make it look a bit more like the arcade version but my artistic limitations prevented too much of an improvement!

This was a bit more complicated than Dare Devil Denis as some of the flashing colours were used to identify enemy objects.
Attachments
hunch16.zip
(8.89 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

paulv

Re: Hunchback for VideoNuLA (16 colours)

Postby paulv » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:25 pm

That looks awesome :D such nice colour choices really give it depth. =D> =D> =D>

I still can't get past screen 3.... any chance of fixing that for me? :lol: :lol:

Paul

RobC

Postby RobC » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Thanks Paul.

Hunchback was possibly the first game I bought for my BBC (probably in early '84) and I remember my friend's brother saying the graphics were "rubbish" compared to the arcade version. It's only taken me 30-odd years to put it right :D

paulv

Postby paulv » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:54 am

The first time I saw Hunchback was on my cousin's Oric-1 on a little black and white portable TV in 1983. I was hooked. A month or two later, I got my Beeb for my Christmas present that year which for a 9 year old, was the biggest and best present ever. Mind you, it'd still be one of the best Christmas presents ever if I got one this Christmas and I'm 43 with 5 Beeb's to my name :lol: :lol: :lol:

RobC

Postby RobC » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Seems like we got our first Beebs at the same age and time :)

Playing this on a real machine today, I realised that I'd forgotten to set the VideoNuLA palette for colour 8 and this caused flashing blocks around the lives counter. B-Em doesn't seem to have this issue for some reason.

Anyway, here's the corrected version (with some slight modifications to the sprites that I'd made in the meantime).
Attachments
hunch16.zip
(9.02 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

kieranhj

Postby kieranhj » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:47 am

RobC wrote:Playing this on a real machine today, I realised that I'd forgotten to set the VideoNuLA palette for colour 8 and this caused flashing blocks around the lives counter. B-Em doesn't seem to have this issue for some reason.

Ah, I must have misunderstood how flashing colours are handled on NULA. Let me take a look when I’m home and I’ll send you a note about what I should be seeing with the earlier ssd and any clarifying questions.

RobC

Postby RobC » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:17 pm

kieranhj wrote:Let me take a look when I’m home and I’ll send you a note about what I should be seeing with the earlier ssd and any clarifying questions.

No rush - I still need to get my head around exactly what the issue is.

Let me see if I can pin down a test case - might be a little while as I'm looking at getting my Flex port running on the GoSDC.

kieranhj

Postby kieranhj » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:32 am

RobC wrote:No rush - I still need to get my head around exactly what the issue is.

Let me see if I can pin down a test case - might be a little while as I'm looking at getting my Flex port running on the GoSDC.

Thanks, that would be helpful. Maybe I can also get around to implementing the sub-byte scrolling at ABUG. Seems like a good opportunity to get the details right whilst we're in the same room!

RobC

Postby RobC » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:40 am

Just found what I think is a simple test case for the B-Em palette mapping issue:

Code: Select all

10 ?&FE22=&40:REM Reset VideoNuLA
20 ?&FE22=&11:REM Change palette mapping mode
30 MODE 2
40 FOR I=0 TO 15
50 COLOUR I
60 PRINT "HELLO"
70 NEXT

On running on real hardware, the display shows "HELLO" in colours 0-15 (so with colours 8-15 flashing).
However, on B-Em, colours 8-15 don't flash, they are displayed as solid colours instead (so colour 8 is solid black).

This is why the background to the Hunchback lives counter (colour 8 ) flashed black/white on real hardware but not on B-Em.

Sorting out the scrolling at ABUG sounds like a good idea...

Return to “software: classic games”