Erik the Viking Question

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures


User avatar
streaks
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:08 pm
Contact:

Erik the Viking Question

Postby streaks » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:49 am

In the olden days I had a copy of Erik the Viking but there was a way to just get a slideshow of the pictures instead of the game. Anyone know how to get that? Do I need a special copy? Cheeeeeeeeeeers.
streaksy (at) gmail (dot) com

User avatar
lurkio
Posts: 1152
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Doomawangara
Contact:

Re: Erik the Viking Question

Postby lurkio » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:23 am

Not sure, but Return To Eden, also by Level 9, seems to have had a slideshow built in.

Maybe there's a version of Erik out there with a similar slideshow?

:?:

User avatar
streaks
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Erik the Viking Question

Postby streaks » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:24 pm

lurkio wrote:Not sure, but Return To Eden, also by Level 9, seems to have had a slideshow built in.

Maybe there's a version of Erik out there with a similar slideshow?

:?:


Oh it was just like that! I'm sure it had a similar menu at the start where you could choose "pictures" now that I've seen this.. so I'm after a version of Erik with that type of opening menu.
streaksy (at) gmail (dot) com

User avatar
CMcDougall
Posts: 5539
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:13 pm
Location: Shadow in a Valley of Scotland

Re: Erik the Viking Question

Postby CMcDougall » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:56 pm

Will check as had this BITD on tape, so probably the disc version, if exists....
ImageImageImage

User avatar
lurkio
Posts: 1152
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Doomawangara
Contact:

Re: Erik the Viking Question

Postby lurkio » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:39 pm

CMcDougall wrote:Will check as had this BITD on tape, so probably the disc version, if exists....

When Lee and I were preparing the version of Erik that's now on bbcmicro.co.uk, I think we concluded that no Beeb disc version was ever released. Any disc versions that are out there are probably tape-to-disc hacks. In fact, I think they all had an instructions screen that explicitly mentioned saving to tape.

I'm wondering if the slideshow that streaks saw was a machine-code hack or patch, possibly on top of a tape-to-disc transfer..?

:?:

User avatar
streaks
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Erik the Viking Question

Postby streaks » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:06 am

lurkio wrote:
CMcDougall wrote:Will check as had this BITD on tape, so probably the disc version, if exists....

When Lee and I were preparing the version of Erik that's now on bbcmicro.co.uk, I think we concluded that no Beeb disc version was ever released. Any disc versions that are out there are probably tape-to-disc hacks. In fact, I think they all had an instructions screen that explicitly mentioned saving to tape.

I'm wondering if the slideshow that streaks saw was a machine-code hack or patch, possibly on top of a tape-to-disc transfer..?

:?:


It WAS on disk for me so that's probable. Not looking good for that version turning up then. I have no idea where I got it and didn't have a concept of piracy or proper distribution since I was like 6. It was on a disk with about 13 other games.

To be honest, I just want to see all the pictures again. I have a full screenshop map but I think the screens are compressed to a smaller size and the colours seem a bit off, so I think it was from a different system. I could painstakingly follow a guide and see every room as I encounter them but a slideshow would be tonnes easier since there are like 200 or so rooms..
streaksy (at) gmail (dot) com

User avatar
lurkio
Posts: 1152
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Doomawangara
Contact:

Re: Erik the Viking Question

Postby lurkio » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:54 pm

streaks wrote:I have a full screenshop map but I think the screens are compressed to a smaller size and the colours seem a bit off, so I think it was from a different system.

Any chance you could upload that?

Or is it this one?:

:?:

User avatar
streaks
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Erik the Viking Question

Postby streaks » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:12 am

lurkio wrote:
streaks wrote:I have a full screenshop map but I think the screens are compressed to a smaller size and the colours seem a bit off, so I think it was from a different system.

Any chance you could upload that?

Or is it this one?:

:?:


Yeh, it's that one. Different from the Beeb, init? If not I'm sorted..
streaksy (at) gmail (dot) com


Return to “software: classic games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest