Does it exists a version of "Death race" for the beeb?

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures

nicolagiacobbe

Does it exists a version of "Death race" for the beeb?

Postby nicolagiacobbe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Hello to everybody,
Does anyone knows if the game: "Death race" (or some rip-off of it) has been developed for the beeb?
The Wikipedia link is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Race_(1976_video_game)
It is quite an old game (still using custom logic instead of a CPU) so it should have been easy to write for the Beeb.

tricky

Re: Does it exists a version of "Death race" for the beeb?

Postby tricky » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:22 pm

I've never seen it, but as it only has one sprite IIRC, your right, it should be very easy, even from BASIC.

sbadger

Postby sbadger » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:15 am

I seem to think there may have been a Micro User type in for this?

Is this it? http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/mags/mu/cats/mu016.html
A3020| A3000x3| BBCBx5 | Electrn | Masterx4 |RiscPC| RPix3
A600 | C64 bbin x2|C64C | Toastrackx2 |QL | XB360&1X |GB |GBC |GBA |GBASP | DS | 3DS XL x2| MD | MS
Atari 7600 | PS1-2-3-4| PSP |Vita |SNES|GC|N64|Wii & U |Switch|ArcadeCab |Sony PVMx2

nicolagiacobbe

Postby nicolagiacobbe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:11 pm

>I seem to think there may have been a Micro User type in for this?
>Is this it? http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/mags/mu/cats/mu016.html

Thanks for the link but the game seems different, for what I could see the linked game has a 3D-ish perspective. Well, if the experts can't find it this means that that game does not exist, time to make a tentative at 6502 coding.

@tricky: I learnt the hard way that "easy" means two very different things when written by you respect when written by others (with me among them).

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:18 pm

:oops:
In this case, you could probably draw everything with user defined characters and EOR your car on and off to move it.
Bounding boxes are probably OK for collision, so keeping an array should do.
So, this might actually be "easy", not "tricky easy" ;)
Disclaimer, I have never actually seen or played the game :shock:

ThomasHarte

Postby ThomasHarte » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:03 pm

I played it at the Musee Mecanique a few years ago while I was living in SF; I can't say I enjoyed it very much — there are a bunch of people moving around slowly on the screen, and you drive a car around trying to hit them. Each leaves behind a tombstone when hit. If you drive over anything that isn't a person, your car goes really slowly. What I assume is an implementation error means that often you hit people, they turn into tombstones, then your car instantly stops as it detects you driving over the tombstone, so it's difficult to build up a flow. That's the annoying bit. Given that it's not actually graphic at all, if you were zipping around pulling off skids and drifts then it'd probably be a much more enjoyable experience.

The people move slowly enough that I think you could get away with updating them round robin, so you're probably talking about one or two sprites per frame, and there's probably enough time that you could read collision information directly back from the screen buffer if you so wanted. The people don't collide with one another, if memory serves.

RobC

Postby RobC » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:46 pm

There's a BASIC version for the Spectrum in this book:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=2000146

I played it on SpectROM earlier and it's pretty terrible but I can extract the source if you like.